Saturday, July 09, 2005

Camping at White Mountains, New Hampshire

Last weekend I went for camping at the White Mountains in New Hampshire. It was an amazing experience. Something I would like to do more often. Here are the highlights of the trip.

Highs:
1. The drive from Boston to White Mountains once we entered the White Mountains Forest Area. It was really pretty.

2. The first day hike to the Arethusa Falls. The hike till there wasn't great, but the trek up to the top of the falls was really cool. The feeling when we sat on the edge of the rock was really amazing. Staring down the cliff, with a 200ft straight fall was out of world.

3. The campfire and the smirnoff with everyone generally talking. Learned some cool fundaes on a spider like creature from Stephan.

4. This was best part of the whole camping trip. A 4.2 mile hike to the top of the Mt. Washington, the highest peak in the north eastern part of US. It is arnd 6,400 ft high. Took us 4.5 hrs to get up and the whole day for the complete trip. It was the first time I had hiked so much and it was out of world. As dalal would put it "Its the most amazing thing, man".

5. Relatively not so great, but the fireworks on the eve of 4th July in the little town called Littleton. There was a kid (4 yrs old) who was diving around every time a fire cracker burst as if it was a bomb next to him was really cute. He would actually do a half-squat and wait in anticipation for the fire cracker to burst.

Lows:
1. Some people getting senti over nothing

2. The cold with only a bedsheet on me. It made me sleep in the car on the second night; to make matters worse dandekar also decided to sleep in the car.

3. Reaching the top of Mt. Washington only to see a railway line and a road leading till there and thousands of people all over the place. The commercialization of the place really put me off.

Over all, I had a great time, one of the trips I have enjoyed the most. Last time I enjoyed a trip like this was when I went to Kodai with my wingmates. Those were the days!!! I shall be uploading the pictures of this trip soon.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah... kodai was one awesome trip! who has the photos from that trip?

AJ said...

I have some of them, but on print. Dont have them scanned.

Nikhil said...

Why didn't u mention the fact that u chose to sleep in the same car as me, even though u had the option of sleeping in the other car and I was begging you to sleep there?