Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Its in the voice

I went to my lab the other day, strangely the door was closed. I walked in to find my lab mate on the phone. She was talking in chinese, but the way she was speaking I knew she was talking some one she had a lot of love for, some one she looked up to. I didn't understand a word of it, but it was so obvious from her voice. Later she told me it was her boy friend.

I gave it a thought and realized that not only emotions but our internal image of the person, how much we respect him as a person, how we rate him intellectually, emotionally are all very very evident from the way we speak to him. If you hear two people talking its very easy to find out how comfortable they are with each other without even knowing the language they are speaking or looking at their expressions. The voice in fact depicts the emotions of the person speaking just as well as his expressions apart from all these.

But for some strange reason, the emotions et. al. in the voice always seem to play the second fiddle, when we speak ... what an irony.

Next time I meet a girl, I will say "I heard it in your voice" instead of "I saw it in your eyes" :-). It will probably be the last time I see that girl though. Such is life, not a fair place I say!!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you hear two people talking its very easy to find out how comfortable they are with each other without even knowing the language they are speaking or looking at their expressions.

In fact, I think two people are most comfortable with each other when they can just sit together for hours without a word being spoken.

AJ said...

I agree!!! but it still doesn't say anything about not being able to extract feelings from the way they talk, which was my point in the first place.

Balachandra said...

Next time I meet a girl, I will say "I heard it in your voice" instead of "I saw it in your eyes" :-).

Since you are aspiring to be a human vision scientist it is probably more appropriate for you to say that you saw it in her eyes.

AJ said...

:-)

Anonymous said...

I think it might be sometimes possible to speak in a manner which indicates concern but internally the person doesn't feel so or to speak in a very detached manner when actually the person feels a lot for you. But the body language,the eye expressions give everything away and are difficult to control. That's why I would say " I saw it in her eyes":-)

Bayesian Observer said...

whoa ! I totally agree with shankar. (And need to know this stuff now)

AJ said...

cheapster ...
Any ways, I never said anything about the emotions being genuine or not, I am just saying voices do carry all the emotions just as well as the expressions. Even expressions can be faked, if not, there would be no one winning the Oscars :).