Friday, June 24, 2005

A gash in the head and three stitches later - an account of things as they happened

tring tring!!!
me: haan, bhai bol
bhai: cricket khelne ko aa raha hai kya, 5:30 baje?
me: kitne log hein?
bhai: 8 log aa rahe hein
me: theek hai bhai, mein bhi aata hai, bye.
bhai: bye

Dire Straits playing on launch cast, oh!! its 5:30 pm, set the comp. to hibernate. Pack my bag, and leave the lab. Where is dandekar, call him. Oh!! There he is ...

me: chal lab jaate hein, i have to put my bag
dandekar: why man? (in his usual crying baby way)
kane(without thinking): shut up!! (now after thinking), why do you want to go to his lab
me: i want to put this laptop there, its not mine, don't want to take any risk
kane(without thinking again): shut up man!!! You are gonna be right there and its not even yours.
me: that's why i wanna be extra careful, don't want it around when we are playing cricket
dandekar: i have to go back to my lab again bitch!!! (as usual doesn't make sense but cries as usual)

n voices along with mine, split the team man. dandekar and varun start picking.

me and raghu trying to show off some non existent soccer skills, by kicking a tennis ball on the wall (this wont me the last thing I hit on the wall for the day, but little did I know then), trying to take some volleys.

raghu(after missing a volley): shit man!!! (in total disappointment, like this was the first time he ever miss a volley)

teams are split, I am on the fielding side.

me: who all are in my team, rather whose time am I on
dandekar(making a worst attempt at humor): that's much better.

Would you believe if I said, he actually thinks the "game" of cricket is an art form. :-))

kirit: its you, varun, VT and me.
me: k

start fielding at my usual cover + point position (why did I ever move from there). First over kirit bowling, nothing to do. Not even one ball came to me ... so far so good.

next over varun bowling, I take his place in fielding. its too sunny, sun straight in my eye. Don't like it, envious of VT's place in the shade. Next over, the ball tossed to me, I ball my stupid off spinners though not without putting the pseude of going cross round the wicket. Next VT is gonna bowl, cool I can take his place in the shade without looking cheap (big grin).

VT first ball, kane moves away, gives himself room, hits a ugly cross batted hoick over long off.

Here is what went through my mind then

Fruit ball, its going all the way, take a few steps in front just to show I was looking to catch it.
oh no!! The ball is dying, I can actually catch it, hop hop ... THUD!!!! a sound of my skull hitting the wall.

me: woah!! How did that happen
junta: you ok?

everyone concerned but for kane who was still standing proud of his ugly slog (later he claimed he didn't realize I hit the wall, I can bet the guy on the 5th floor of the building thought it was an earthquake (Richter scale ), with the building shaking)

me: yeah i am good (still ruffling my hair)
me: oh no wait!! its bleeding, its bleeding.
junta: oh shit that's bad
me: how bad is it
kane(now over his ugly slog): lets go to sonny werblin
me: does any one have a kerchief or something
dandekar: yeah take this (first act of kindness from the baby, I feel proud)
me(wiping a lot of blood): am sorry about this boy (referring to the kerchief)
dandekar: that's k man (like he had donated a kidney to me or something)
me: hey we left our cells and key chains there
dandekar: I will get it, oh bhai already got it, cool

wiping the blood as we walk towards the rec center .....

****************** This is long enough******************
Will continue the account of Sonny Werblin and the hospital in the next post along with pictures, till then adios amigos.

P.S. The accounts is of course not verbatim, but as I remember it.

2 comments:

Bayesian Observer said...

why dont you write a book about your head injury man.

AJ said...

Coz, I dont think there is a market for it, though there are better stories happening at the bus stop ;) which have a lot of market, you know what I mean :D.